Tuesday, November 20, 2007

NICU visit

Jim and I took a tour of the NICU today. Our multiples class is doing it the Thurs after Thanksgiving, but they suggested we take it beforehand, just in case. It was a little scary. Jim was a little worried because there are some babies that are carriers of MRSA (that staph bacteria), and I think they said two of the babies showed symptoms. But, they are being proactive and taking care of the issue, so I feel safe. They didn't take us to that side of the NICU.

Anyway, we saw such tiny babies in there. One was 2lbs 4oz (which is about the size of ours right now) and she was sooooo tiny. They gave us a diaper the size she wears and its smaller than the palm of my hand. Even though I saw the babies, I can't imagine then now (12hrs later) how small they really were. Its hard to grasp the idea that they can function so well being that small. But, I'm hoping we hold out a few more weeks and ours will be at least 3lbers. It was amazing to see how much bigger a 3lb baby was than the other little girl. We also learned that with the MRSA bacteria being such an issue right now and it being RSV season, the only people that will be able to see the babies are the parents and grandparents. I know its safer for the babies, but I feel bad that Alli won't be able to see them, or all of their aunts and uncles, etc. So, say some prayers we hang on for awhile and then maybe they will be so big and mature that they won't have to spend much time there.

The weekend was good. Had a lot of visitors and Jim brought Allison up twice. I always love when she comes because she is just so cute :) I finally made my 28 week sign for my door...I was being lazy...its not like I have anything better to do. So, I'm going to be more timely with my 29 week sign. I was just going to change my 27 to a 28, or just skip 28 and make a 29, but the nun who gives me holy communion every morning says I'm so creative and I really should make one, blah, blah, blah. I promised her I would, so of course, I couldn't lie to a nun. So, the new sign is hanging up--FINALLY. I'm still waiting with the 29 week sign because I don't want to jinx anything.

OH, and one more thing---I found out today that I'm supposed to be getting wheelchair rides every other day. That would have been nice to know! I've only been outside about 5 mins in the past 3.5 weeks! So, I was a little upset that I didn't know and nobody told me, but I'm excited about getting out of my room a little more often :)

Have a good day!
Chrissy

2 comments :

Andria said...

Oh gosh Chrissy...get out and get some fresh air!!! Such an emotional tour of the NICU I'm sure, but glad you feel comfortable to know the best care happens there. Love the sign and nun story...had to laugh! Don't let that nun down now, okay? Glad to hear the turkeys are still cooking!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, I can't wait to see you this week, instead of talking on the phone. How was your visit with your old work friends? See you tomorrow. Love ya, Jackie